Apply for an EMBL Australia Short Term Travel Grant!
Next round of travel grants open 1st April.
EMBL Australia is passionate about supporting young scientists through their training and into a research career. Each year we sponsor approximately 20 of the best PhD students in Australia to train overseas at the prestigious EMBL through our travel grants.
With an EMBL Australia travel grant, you could take a short course, attend a conference or work collaboratively alongside some of the world’s best researchers at EMBL’s six facilities: EMBL Heidelberg (Germany), EMBL Hamburg (Germany), EMBL Grenoble (France), EMBL-EBI Hinxton (UK), EMBL Rome (Italy) or EMBL Barcelona (Spain).
EMBL offers activities on a range of topics covering all areas of the life sciences, including next-generation sequencing, genome editing, systems biology, imaging and bioinformatics.
For a full list of upcoming events, visit: embl.org/events
Grant value: You can apply for financial support of up to $2,000 for a short visit of up to six weeks.
How to apply:
To apply, students are required to submit an application online.
Please note that your application will not save if you close your browser and return to the form. It is encouraged that you document your responses separately.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. More information on eligibility can be found below.
2023 Round 1
- Travel from 1 February – 31 July*
- Applications open: 19 October – 1 February, 2023 11:59pm AEST
2023 Round 2
- Travel from 1 July* – 31 December
- Applications open 1 April – 31 May 2023, 11:59pm AEST
*Please note the one-month overlap period to accommodate for abstract submission deadlines, and the high number of EMBL events in July.
Conferences, symposia or one of the many short courses operated by EMBL at the EMBL International Centre for Advanced Training (EICAT) in Heidelberg, Germany, or any EMBL location;
Undertake training in the laboratories of one of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory’s six outstations located in Heidelberg (GER), Grenoble (FR), Hamburg (GER), Hinxton (Cambridge; UK), Rome (IT) and Barcelona (SP).
- You are a PhD Student enrolled in an Australian university who:
- Has completed their confirmation of candidature or is permitted to travel by their university
- Has not exceeded their maximum duration of candidature
- Is not on leave of absence from their candidature
- Is studying in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, informatics, engineering and molecular medicine
- You have not already received a travel grant from EMBL Australia in the last 12 months
- You have registered and submitted your abstract** for a conference (if you are training in a lab, please provide proof of support from your chosen lab instead)
** Applications will be accepted from students who have submitted their abstract for conferences, but have not yet heard if they are accepted. Such applications will be considered on the same basis as those whose papers have been accepted. Any grant awarded will be conditional on the abstract being accepted for presentation and evidence must be submitted.
Travel grants will be awarded to high quality, well-documented proposals with strong support from supervisors. Proposals should demonstrate clearly the significance of the conference, visit or research interaction and outline how these will specifically enhance the research profile of the applicant, and their immediate research group.
Complete applications include:
- Support letter from your supervisor
- Conference registration & abstract submission proof, or proof of lab training (letter from group leader, email correspondence, etc)
If unforeseen circumstances prevent an awardee from either attending the approved conference or visiting the approved research sites, the grant must be returned. Grants cannot be deferred to the following year and must be used for the activity noted in your application.
Use of Funds
The funds can be used for any reasonable and relevant expense relating to your attendance at EMBL. This may include, but is not restricted to, flights, accommodation, course fees, meals or general expenses.
You will need to submit a report, including your final budget with receipts/evidence, to the Student Programs Coordinator via email@example.com at EMBL Australia within six weeks of your return.
Once the EMBL Australia Travel Grant Selection Committee has decided to fund an application, funds will be transferred upon confirmation of course/conference registration at least one month prior to the planned departure date stated in the application form. Alternatively, funds can be reimbursed after travel is complete.
To keep up-to-date on future opportunities, subscribe to our newsletter or follow EMBL Australia on Facebook or Twitter.
For enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.